Friday 31 May 2013

Review: The Wake #1


I've never really read a book not part of mainstream DC Comics or Marvel, I've picked up a few Image titles but so far I've pretty much stuck to the mainstream of the Big Two, but I decided to give the Wake a shot because I'd heard a lot of excitement about it. I'm really glad I did!

One of the reasons I decided to pick up this first issue was Scott Snyder. You'll probably know him from his current run on Batman which has been pretty consistently great. I went into the book with pretty high expectations and I wasn't disappointed! Snyder's come up with an interesting premise for the series which really gripped me and I can't wait to read some more of it!

It's a really odd sort of  book but it really works well! There are a lot of interesting characters and it's really not what I'd expected! The story pretty much resolves around the sea, or specifically, what's underneath it. We get hints towards weird creatures and the first scene of the book takes place two hundred years after the main story and that aspect of the issue really grabs you.

Now onto the art. The artist for this series is Sean Gordon Murphy who you most likely know from his own series, Punk Rock Jesus. This is the first time I've seen his work and I was really impressed. There are some beautiful pages in this issue, specifically, the fourth page ( which I can't really describe without spoilers ) and pages thirteen to fourteen, set above Alaska's south slope. The entire issue has amazing art throughout but those three pages really stand out for me.

Another point on the art, the colours. The colourist for this series is Matt Hollingsworth, and he's one of the best parts of the current Hawkeye series from Marvel. Any book he seems to be on is improved by far with his colours and it was really amazing in this issue. Sean Gordon Murphy and Matt Hollingsworth are one of the best art teams in comics right now!

The Wake is a fascinating and intriguing comic with one of the greatest creative teams in comics! A real highlight in the comics world and a true must-read!

Rating: 10/10!

No comments:

Post a Comment