Wednesday 22 May 2013

Review: The Green Team: Teen Trillionares #1

I have to admit that when DC first announced the Green Team (along with The Movement) I was a little hesitant. DC basically marketed it as one of two books about the politics of the DC Universe, which I don't think was quite a fair description since this book is a lot more interesting than "a book about the politics of the DC Universe" makes it seem.

Art Baltazar and Franco are two fantastic writers who you probably know form books like Tiny Titans or Superman Family Adventures, or maybe their own comics series, Aw Yeah Comics. The majority of their work is for All ages books, which are funny and great, but I wasn't sure if they'd manage to transfer their excellent writing to a mainstream DC book (Rated T for Teen, rather than All ages) but I think it has. They've come up with interesting characters and an intriguing plot, and it's exceeded my expectations.

Another thing that was said about this book, which is pretty obvious from it's title, is that the main characters are really rich teenagers, I could see this as being a little bit tiring and getting old for a whole series but they've managed to build in villains and a very interesting twist for one member of the Green Team, which I don't want to spoil, but trust me, it's great.

Something that I wasn't very excited about for this book was Ig Guara's art, I first saw his work on issues 8 and 9 of Teen Titans and I really disliked his art there. I've realised now that this was just because the colours didn't work with his pencils but I think in this series the whole art team works together perfectly.

One of my favourite things about this issue is that it doesn't have to rely on big guest stars to carry it like so many other books at the moment do. It got by just on the story and art and it feels like it's in it's own little corner of the DC Universe, which I really like.

Overall, this is a fascinating and fun book that's very different from anything else DC's putting out at the moment, definitely worth picking up!

Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment