Tuesday 21 May 2013

Interview: Brett Booth on leaving Nightwing, JLA and the Future!

This is my second interview with Brett Booth, but this is a little shorter than the first as he was very busy drawing Justice League of America. But, anyway, enjoy!

The cover to Nightwing #21,
Booth's final issue
Harry: Brett, thanks for doing a second interview on this blog, It's nice to have you back on!

Brett Booth: How can you type so much so fast?!?!?!? I'll have to be quick, need to get this page done ASAP!

Harry: Straight to the questions on a recent piece of news, your departure, from your current series, Nightwing.
 
I'll just say that I'm definitely going to miss you on the series, how does it feel for you to be leaving after such a short time?

Brett: Unfinished. Things just didn't aline quite right but that's comics, always changing! I do hope to get another chance at some point.

Harry: Do you think you'll miss the book, considering the whole mythos writer Kyle Higgins is building up for the city of Chicago?

Brett: I don't really know... I haven't had much breathing room to really think lately. I will miss drawing Nightwing, he's one of my favorites!

Harry: One of the most important questions, what did you enjoy most from drawing this series?

Brett: Drawing Nightwing dancing over the city...( and the @$$ shots;P) It's different from say Spiderman, NW has a different kind of grace.

Harry: What can you tell us about your final issue of the series?

Brett: DONUTS!!!! And maybe coffee...

Harry: Onto some questions about a book you'll be drawing in the next two months, Justice League of America.
 
We've talked before about the differences between drawing team books and drawing solo books, but are there any certain types of practice you have to do before returning to a team book?

Brett: No, since it's only been a few months since my last team book, it wasn't hard to switch back into it. It was just a tad difficult because of all the new costumes I'm not used to.... especially Seve Trevors, David went crazy with that one!

Interiors of Nightwing #20
by Booth.
Harry: With such a diverse group of characters, how do you make the individual aspects of each character stand out?

Brett: The stand out more easily BECAUSE they are diverse character wise. Hawkman, is the tough guy. Martian Manhunter the stoic father figure, Catwoman is the naughty badgirl ect. Once you zero in on that they are pretty easy to get ahold of;)

Harry: You've drawn a JLA book before, but with a very different team to the current incarnation, does it feel odd drawing a series with the same name of one you've drawn before but with very different characters?

Brett: Not really, teams change all the time. It's fun to get a chance to draw so much of the DC Universe New and Old!

Harry: What's it like to be working with one of DC's top writers, Geoff Johns?

Brett: I'm a huge fan of his, he world builds so well! He's also incredibly nice and helpful. I would love to do a regular book with him at some point!

Harry: Do you feel like you have more control over characters in a series less mainstream rather than one DC is shining their spotlight on?

Brett: As the artist, my control is limited to the look, but as I'm also one of the designers I can get away with tweeks.. I'm only helping out for a few issues so I'm trying to stick to what's already there or what will be there Trinity War wise;)
JLA interiors by Booth, images
from Comic Book Resources

Harry: Are you aloud to tease anything about your issues of JLA?

Brett: I believe the it's the first appearance of a character and watch the jet in that double page spread;) Also, lots of Catwoman and a Bigfoot!

Harry: After Nightwing and JLA I assume you'll be moving onto another series, presumably for DC Comics again, any clues to what that could be?

Brett: 'll be doing a 5-6 issue arc on another book then I should be hitting a regular series book again... I don't want to ruin the surprise!

Harry: Thanks again, Brett! Nice to get the chance to interview you again! Good luck on your future projects!

Brett: Thanks!!!!!


Brett's final issue of Nightwing comes out on the 12th of June and his two issue run on Justice League of America begins on May 29, starting with #4.

You can follow him on twitter, @Demonpuppy and check out his blog: "Demonpuppy's Wicked Awesome art blog". You can read my first interview with Brett here

No comments:

Post a Comment