Thursday 13 June 2013

Man Of Steel predictions

With the upcoming Superman movie, Man of Steel, released very soon I thought I'd go through some of my predictions for the film. Obviously, since these are all from my own head, no real spoilers for the film, but if you really want to stay completely Spoiler-free, you might want to skip this post, I am basing a lot of the points off of things I've seen in trailers. Basically, Possible Spoilers below.

What if Krypton wasn't destroyed?


This one is a big prediction, what if Superman's home planet, Krypton, isn't destroyed in the film? Okay, I do have some evidence to support this idea: At no point in any of the five or six trailers for this film that I've seen, do you see the destruction of Krypton. You see who are supposedly Zod's forces attacking, but would that be enough to blow up a planet? (Answer: Probably not). What I'm getting at here is, maybe Krypton wasn't destroyed, maybe it was overtaken by General Zod.

Think about it, Jor-El sends his son away to Earth so he's safe from the war on his home planet, Zod takes over and he travels to Earth because Superman escaped him. Notice Zod says that Earth is "sheltering one of his citizens", that would imply some sort of civilization to go back to, and there won't be much civilization to go back to if the planets been blown up.

This would definitely be a brave move for Zack Snyder to make, almost too brave to go ahead with it, but how else could Zod have a fully formed army with huge ships to travel in? He'd need some time to prepare.

Knee-El


At the beginning of the film we get a recap of the history of the Krypton in a Q & A style, young Kryptonians ask questions to their elders about the council's history. One small child asks about the Generals in the Kryptonian army, the answer "Before we had General Zod, we had the ancestor of the El family, Knee. To rephrase, we had Knee-El before Zod"

(I'm sorry but I had to build that in somehow)

The Daily Planet


We already know that a large chunk of this film takes place in the city of Metropolis, with a lot of scenes focused on the Daily Planet considering having Lois Lane, Perry White and more in the film. What we haven't seen though, is Clark Kent in the Daily Planet. This is was I think they'll use for the final scene of the movie, Clark Kent arriving in Metropolis and turning up at the Daily Planet.

Diamond Cream


It happened.
Remember that episode of Arrested Development where Tobias covered himself in a body-cream made of ground-up diamonds to follow his wife, Lindsy? What do you mean "No"? Okay, in your defence, I watched that one just the other day, but back to the point. There's an entire website set up by a shaving company dedicated to finding out how Superman shaves. I have it. What can cut Steel, I ask you? The answer, is Diamonds. If Superman were to get some of Tobias' diamond cream, he could apply it to his face and it could cut his beard. Okay, maybe I'm not the best scientist, but wouldn't that be amazing?

The death of Pa Kent


I'm not sure why I think this could happen, I just have a strong feeling that it will. It just feels like something that will happen to me, Pa Kent's death, to me, for some reason seems inevitable. My theory on why, is Zod uses this as a method of drawing Superman out so Zod can defeat him. I can't really remember an incarnation of the Superman story in which Jonathan Kent hasn't died, and it just seems obvious to me.

The destruction of General Fluffy


He's pretty angry, what other motive could he have?
Simple, Zod's annoyed because he's just lost his hamster. He travels to Earth to take out his anger on the only person he can punch without blowing them up, Kal-El. I don't need to mention much else about this idea, apart from how stunned I would be if this happened, which it won't, which I guess means it's not really a prediction, but that doesn't matter too much.

New Krypton

New Krypton was an amazing story by Sterling Gates, James Robinson and Geoff Johns a few years ago. Basically, the bottled city of Kandor's residents were released onto the Earth, they caused trouble, started their own planet on the opposite side of the Sun to the Earth and then, I'll be honest here, I haven't finished the story. It's only really the start that you need to know right now. Obviously, this plot won't happen in the movie, it's not big enough for that, but a set-up or quick reference could be likely. Just mentioning Kandor or showing the bottle city inside the Fortress of Solitude would be a good start for setting up that story possibly for a future sequel. Another idea, of course, is that that's where Zod's army came from, Zod took them out of the bottle city and trained them to take on Superman.

"We're putting a team together, DC style"

We all want it to happen, every comic book fan seeing this film wants to see a set-up for the Justice League. With Marvel's Avengers franchise booming at the moment, DC are apparently trying to set up a future Justice League movie. If DC do want to set up a connected universe, they need to start here, with this film. I'm not expecting to see another actual Justice League member at the end of the film, but I'm pretty certain there'll be some sort of big start for DC's major Superhero team.


Man of Steel is released on June 14th, directed by Zack Snyder, Produced by Christopher Nolan and Starring Henry Cavill as Superman ( Kal-El/ Clark Kent), Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Michael Shannon as General Zod, Russell Crowe as Jor-El and more.


No comments:

Post a Comment