Friday 7 June 2013

Interview: Van Jensen talks Green Lantern Corps

Recently I caught up with new Green Lantern Corps writer, Van Jensen, to talk about his upcoming run on the book. Below you can read that interview, Enjoy!

Harry: So, what we're focusing on in this interview is your upcoming run on Green Lantern Corps. How does it feel to be handed not just one Green Lantern character, but pretty much the entire corps? 



John Stewart, on the cover to Green Lantern
Corps #22
Van Jensen: There are only 7,200 or so Green Lanterns, that's not so much to handle, is it? Joking aside, it's a dream assignment. The mythology of the Green Lantern Corps stands up there with any group in comics history, and there is a universe full of stories to explore. The hardest thing is picking and choosing stories, since obviously I can't tell them all in 20 pages a month.


Harry: Inside that corps is one of the most important Green Lanterns there is, John Stewart. Is there a lot of pressure and responsibility when writing a character with a lot of history and one known by a lot of people in the general public, not just comic readers?


Van Jensen: The rumours that came up about John's supposed demise really highlighted how beloved he is as a character, and it was a great reminder to me of much responsibility has been placed in my hands. I'm a big fan of his from the comics and from the Justice League cartoons, but it was still great to see so many impassioned fans speaking up on John's behalf. I always set high standards for myself, but with Green Lantern Corps, my goal is no less than writing the definitive John Stewart story. I want this book to be THE John Stewart book that people remember. Anything less than that, and I'm not satisfied.


Harry: With so many members of the corps, is it difficult to remember all of them at times?


Van Jensen: I have my trusty Secret Files and Origins copy sitting next to me at all times, and our editors put together a handy-dandy sector/Lantern spreadsheet for us, so that helps. But yeah, it's daunting. And there are so many with awesome backgrounds. I have what seems like a decade worth of story ideas already, and I'm only just getting started.


Harry: The Green Lantern Corps series usually has a core team of lanterns that the book focuses on, who will make up this team in your run?


Van Jensen: John is at the center. Salaak, Kilowog and Soranik Natu will have a big presence. We'll be catching up with Isamot, Vath and Iolande soon as well. And then there will be four new recruits that will play a big role. But if I haven't named one of your favorite characters, don't worry, a lot more familiar faces will pop up as we go along!



Harry: With all of the Green Lantern books getting new creative teams at the same time, what are you doing to stand out from all of the?


Van Jensen: All of the creative teams are super talented, and I'm lucky to be working with them. I can't say that I've thought of it in terms of inter-Lantern competitiveness. I'm just trying to write the best Green Lantern Corps that I can and let the book's inherent qualities (a big cast, sprawling adventures) stand out. That said, I bet I'm the only one of the four writers who can dunk a basketball. That'll sell some comics, right?


Harry: What are you doing that's really different from the last creative team on Green Lantern Corps?


Van Jensen: The big shift is the focus to John. Peter did a great job, but I don't think Green Lantern Corps consistently had a strong lead character. Sometimes it was Guy, but then other characters would move to the foreground. This is very much John's story, and I think his story will offer a great perspective on what's going on with the Corps, how they're adapting to this new status quo.


Harry: Now, you're co-writing this series with new Green Lantern writer, Robert Venditti. How closely tied together do you think these two books will be?


Van Jensen: We're working together really closely. This is a shared universe, and so the events in one book definitely reverberate in the other. We have the occasional "Wait, is this messing up the continuity?" phone calls. At the same time, we want the books to be able to stand on their own as strong stories.


Guy Gardner, as a Red Lantern
Cover to Red Lanterns #21

Harry: With former corps member, Guy Gardner, moving over to Red Lanterns, can we expect close ties between the series?


Van Jensen: In the short term, no. In the long term, yes. Remember, John and Guy are good friends. How is John going to take the news that his pal is suiting up for the enemy?


Harry: What can you tell us about the first big villain of your run on the series?


Van Jensen: The Durlans make an appearance out of the gate, and the full scope of their plan will be unveiling over the next several months. They have an old, old grudge against the Corps, and the time has come for them to settle it. But these aren't your familiar Durlans, and they've got some seriously insidious plans.


Harry: What Green Lantern related characters can we expect to see in your run?
John Stewart and Fatality,
Cover to Green Lantern Corps #23


Van Jensen: Fatality will play a big role as John's love interest. They have a ridiculously tortured history, which makes for some challenges in this new stage as boyfriend and girlfriend. Since Fatality spent years hunting and killing Green Lanterns, don't expect her to receive an overly warm reception on Oa.


Harry: How closely do you usually work with the writers on the four other Green Lantern books?


Van Jensen: We talk over email pretty often and have occasional conference calls. Our editors (the great Matt Idleson and Chris Conroy) do an excellent job of keeping us up to date as well. They're the ones who really have to stay on top of this universe of characters, which they do exceptionally well.


Harry: Who has been your favourite cast member to write so far?


Van Jensen: John, for sure. I think I identify with him a lot, despite the fact that we have almost nothing in common. Also, it's been fun to take Salaak in a new direction.


Harry: What can you tease overall about your run on the series?


Van Jensen: My plan is to define the next age of the Corps. The old Guardians are dead and gone. Who is in charge? What is the Corps' mission? How do they patrol a universe that, frankly, doesn't want them around? These are big questions, and we'll see how they play out in the months (and hopefully years) ahead.


Harry: What have you found to be the most enjoyable part of writing Green Lantern Corps?


Van Jensen: I really love how the Green Lanterns serve as a meta textual stand-in for the writer. The Lanterns can create any construct that they can imagine, so their imagination is their only limitation. In the same way, I as a writer can come up with whatever constructs (and story elements) that I can dream up. My imagination is my only limitation. It's a great challenge to push myself and my creativity to a new level. I'm still early on, but I'm having a blast so far.


Harry: Thanks, Van! Good luck on Green Lantern Corps!

Green Lantern Corps #21 is released on June 12th, written by Van Jensen with art from Bernard Chang.

You can catch Van on his twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment